sweet, salty, & spicy watermelon salad
There are few things that I love more than a crisp, fresh salad and a ripe piece of fruit on a hot [read: humid] summer afternoon. A refreshing combination of both of those? To me- that really can’t be beat.
[well, aside from scoring a fabulous pair of designer heels on major markdown but that’s totally off topic now isn’t it…]
This sweet, salty and spicy summer salad has now been added to our grilling rotation [ie- throw protein on the grill and call it dinner] for the season.
Sweet, Salty & Spicy Watermelon Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 jalapeño or 2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 1 small cantaloupe
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 jicama
- 2 mangoes
1.Combine lime juice and next 5 ingredients.
2. Place red onion, cilantro, and mint in a large bowl. Dice watermelon and cantaloupe into 1-inch pieces; add to bowl. Peel and dice cucumbers, jicama, and mangoes; add to bowl. Stir in lime juice mixture. Cover and chill 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Happy eats, y’all!
[recipe and photo via]
Lord yes. When it is hot as hell, nothing, NOTHING, is more quenching than fruit.